Monday, February 22, 2010

A dollar a day keeps higher education deprivation away

This weekend I did my very first half-marathon thanks to Denise! She told me about the Pirates half-marathon and I invited myself. I’ve never done one before, and I thought it’d be a good kick start to my weight loss plan. I hadn’t really trained (Two 30-minute runs in total to be exact) and clearly had no idea what I was getting myself into.

The Pirates is known for its 3 hills (which is a complete lie because there were several and I had false hopes every time I thought I completed the 3rd one), in which 2 are killer, making it “extremely difficult,” and in fact the “most difficult half-marathon in Gauteng” says the official website. A lady we met in the bathroom who was a seasoned veteran of the race told us, “You turn one corner and the pavement is touching your face.” Lol Clearly it was a tad bit of a hyperbolization, but it wasn’t far from the truth as I found it nearly impossible to walk up the monster hills even at the interminable pace of 0.01mph, if I was even going that. I felt like I was on a treadmill, walking but going nowhere. My legs kept moving but my surroundings stayed the same. I felt like vomiting several times throughout, the feeling in my legs would sporadically come and go, and I’m pretty sure at one point I was drooling.



I did eventually finish at 3 hours and 2 minutes. Denise was there to greet me at the end because she had crossed the finish a good hour before me. Aside from the sense of accomplishment and the cool medal with the skull and crossbones on it, the scenic route made the run more than worthwhile. At the peak we got a spectacular view of the entire city and I finally got to experience the “runner community,” some of the nicest of people I’ve ever met. I definitely see how important marathon prep is now and I will start working toward the Longtom next month, which brings me to my next point.

About 5 weeks from now, I will be running in the Longtom half-marathon which raises funds that go toward the KLM foundation (http://www.klm-fondation.org). The KLM foundation is a wonderful organization that can change the lives of hard-working, underprivileged kids by sending them to college, an opportunity they would otherwise not be given.

Every runner must meet the minimum of US $100, but the more we raise, the more students they will be able to send to get a higher education. I know we all be po right now, so any little bit helps. It’s an amazing cause and you will really make a difference in someone’s life.

You can donate one of two ways:

Method 1: Online

1. Go to the KLM foundation website (http://www.klm-fondation.org)
2. Click on the Donate photo in the upper left corner.
3. This opens up a secure https connection for people to donate.
4. Don’t forget to put my name (first and last) in the “Longtom Marathon” field so they know the donation was made in your name.

Method 2: Check

1. Make out a check to: Kgwale Le Mollo (US)
2. Add a sticky note declaring which PCV (peace corps volunteer) the donor is sponsoring
3. Mail it to:
KLM Foundation (US)
c/o Bowen Hsu
461 So. Bonita Avenue
Pasadena, CA 91107

Thanks for all of your support, friends, South Africa loves you! And so do I!

No comments:

Post a Comment